Thursday, September 19, 2013

The origins of Little Goth Bob

Little Goth Bob (or just Bob) has been a friend of mine for quite a few years now.

Originally, he was created around 20 years ago.  Since then, he has accompanied me in my house, cars and trucks, and into some of the coolest nightclubs Dallas produced.

Bob was originally conceived and  created when I was battling the depression that in one form or another plagues many members of my family.  In my search for relief, I ran across the theory that creative  projects would help, and I began whittling on a leftover garden stake.

Believe it or not, he helped.

Over the years I've made a few more.  My carving ability has improved, but I still like and prefer a rougher finish and look to him. 

Some Bob's are made from wooden dowels, some from broom handles, some from broken and weathered tree branches that I find while taking walks in the country.  The limbs are made of wire, sometimes copper,  sometimes baling wire, sometimes electric fence wire.   They're wrapped in fabric, burlap,  muslin or  cotton.  Finally they're secured with cotton string.

Only after the doll is made do I determine his or her clothes and costume.

2 comments:

  1. Some Bob's are made from wooden towels

    Remind me not to shower at your place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat blog! It was fun to hear the entire story on Goth Bob and subsequent ones!

    ReplyDelete

Questions and comments are welcome. All comments are moderated, so abusive or inappropriate comments won't make it through... for payment via PayPal, please use the button in the post, or for other arrangements, please leave an email address (which I won't publish) so that I may contact you. Thank you.